Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Art Group Lottery Entry




My Altered Art group has a monthly lottery, and we can submit any small piece of mailable art for this. The current theme is 'Mommy and Me' and my muse just woke up to this theme a few days ago, thanks to inspiration from fellow group member Nancy, who makes incredible art in many forms!


'2 Sides of 1 Heart' is made from a blank papier mache ornament, which I have several of. I had actually forgotten that I had these lying around. The underlying layer is a vintage music sheet painted with several shades of Twinkling H2O's. Then Hero Arts shadow stamps were done (sort of) randomly in off white and blue metallic pigment ink. Collage images from Lunagirl, Paper Imagery, Tuscan Rose, and Altered Pages were attached. The pansies (my faves) were cut from the border of some Susan Branch paper I have. I thought the colors were a little bright and wanted to subdue them, so I mixed a color glaze with 3 acrylic colors and glazing medium, and covered everything with it. Did NOT like the effect on the pictures!! AAAAAGGGGHHHH! Serendipity stepped in. I used a damp rag (my husband's holy socks are the rag of choice in here :) and carefully began 'washing the faces'. I ended up with a different sort of distressed look which is okay for this piece. Then I washed some of the flowers too! Embossed some dragonflies (Impression Obsession stamp) and the edges with Gold Voile ep (Bmuse). The sides were wrapped with gold metal tape colored with alcohol inks.


Hope you like this...happy Tuesday to you!

5 comments:

Suzan Buckner said...

I love this heart! WOnderful!!
Hugs!!
Suzan

Lori Roberts said...

Very pretty Gaye! I must dig out my H20's. I have so many of them and they need to come out to play. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Jillian said...

Gaye--this is a gorgeous piece! The lottery winner will sure be lucky to receive this piece.

akatrix said...

Gaye, I think I need to win the lottery this month...I need that lovely heart!! I haven't visited your blog for a spell....I should check more often because it always makes me happy! You have an eye for "pretty" ....yep, I like your style, girl!
Pat
PS: I don't think I knew you actually opened an Etsy store!!! I'm on the verge....just need to step out in faith!

Laura said...

I really love this piece! the combination of colors, materials, images, techniques and shape make this a fabulous work of art!