Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bluebird 123 Altered Book Challenge




The monthly challenge over at Bluebird 1 2 3 is to alter a book and have it reflect your art journey. I have been wanting to alter a book and this challenge seemed just right for my first time.


Here's the book I have chosen - it has only 38 pages and I will be gluing some together. I love the cover and the fact that it focuses upon owls. Owls are traditionally associated with the adjective "wise", and my book will be altered to reflect my journey (toward) wisdom, particularly through my art. The book has some wonderful photos which I will use portions of. I got the book at a used bookstore for $2. Apparently the man who sculpted the owl piece in the third photo had these books published to accompany the sculpture. This is one in a series of four sculptures by Irving Burgues, and the book carries a signed Certificate of Authenticity, dated February 1976.

8 comments:

Jean said...

Awesome! I love owls too! I'm so glad you're playing this month!

Suzan Buckner said...

This is going to be a great altered book! I love the owl!! hugs!
suzan

~*~Patty said...

Wonderful that you'll be playing along Gaye! I can't wait, great book and topic!

Sharon said...

This looks like a fun book to alter. Your gonna love it. Don forget to use napkins on the pages. ;0

Jean said...

Hi Gaye - Thanks for visitin' and leavin' a nice comment!! Paste paper is a handmade paper that is usually inks for the base and a thicker paint (paste) that is smeared on top and then textured....

Dawn said...

I want to keep my eye on this. I love altered books. this one should be a blast!

Jill said...

Good luck with your altered book.

Diana Stevenson said...

I own this exact sculpture! I fell in love with it when I saw it at an estate sale! I would love to have the book that goes along with it. Does anyone know the value?