Saturday, July 12, 2008

Gel Medium Transfers and Mini-Canvases!




The 'In This House' Yahoo group is having a mini-canvas swap - requirements are to use a small stretched canvas (not canvas board) no larger than 3" x 3", along with text from a song, poem, or text fragment. YIKES! I signed up right away, all enthused and excited. The canvases arrived from Dick Blick and I love them, they are so cute! THEN THE STRUGGLE BEGAN: what was I thinking, I can't possibly do anything on CANVAS that is so TINY...


So I got busy with other things... but the canvases have been nagging at me for FOUR WEEKS. The swap deadline is upon me so I decided to try gel transfers on them. Now I am no whiz with gel transfers... but I became inspired by some of the flowers and colors in my back yard last week, so I was taking quite a few pictures.


The first picture shows the transfers I did last night, along with the original photo (upper right). I came in here this morning and started playing... using tissue, napkin images, glossy copper paint, and copper foil recently RAK'd to me. The other 2 photos are what I finished today - the 3 collages in one picture are for the swap, the text came from a James Thurber short story. The other collage, with the butterfly stamp, did begin as a transfer, although you can't see much of it now. This measures 2"x 2", and the larger collage in the other pic is 3" x 3".


I have 2 more transfer collages in process which I will probably finish next week. I'm pretty happy with the results and learned a LOT in this process :)


Happy daydreaming to all!

6 comments:

Jill said...

Beautiful canvases!

~*~Patty said...

Your canvases look really Lovely! I bet the texture is great in person too! Nothing like a deadline to get the creative juices flowing :) Seems most often the best way to get things done!

akatrix said...

Wonderful transfers! I didn't know you were doing these....I love them! I think the size is part of the charm....I've got some wee canvases. Maybe I'll play with mine. You are so inspirational!
Pat

Sharon said...

These are stunning. Love transfers and all the texture and layers that you achieved.

Jacky said...

Just visited Sharons blog and had to pop over and visit to see what you had done with the napkins...Fantastic!!!!!
I love your little collage canvases, they are so beautiful.

rivergardenstudio said...

These canvases are beautiful, just like a summer garden...thanks so much for sharing