Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Great Snake Escapade


Summer in SoCal - hot, dry, and did I mention that it is hot and dry?? So my fearless Salon buddy was in the backyard awhile ago and starts barking like a maniac. This is a fairly regular occurrence (example: she barks at the gardeners who come every Friday; everyday is Groundhog's Day for her I think). I ignored her because I was BUSY in the Salon and typically her barks are a big NOTHING.

Then I heard a crazy noise, kind of like water running under pressure, like when a pipe bursts? I had the back door open with the screen door closed. Salon girl is still out there barking away, standing at the edge of the patio, hair straight up, the whole ferocious thing. So now I know something is up. I get her in the house and look through the kitchen window and RIGHT IN MY BACKYARD there is a rattlesnake, about 3 feet long, rattlin' away. YAAAAAAAYAAAAAA!

So where is my husband? Not home of course! My neighbor Bob appeared at the front door and offered to go back there and kill it (he has all ready killed 2 or 3 this season over in his yard). He took care of it - it has 12 rattles on it, they get 1 new one per year...

Then my husband returned home and was astonished (and horrified) by the whole thing. He wants to be a tough guy but he's not.


..... So now we're back in the salon, with the house hermetically sealed and the AC on. We've been here 4 years and this is the first rattler we've had (that we know about). I'm going to drink SOMETHING now, just not sure what yet.......

4 comments:

Suzan Buckner said...

Durn Gaye!!! You are lucky it didn't bite your dog..or YOU!!! I would have fainted, or took the shotgun and blew it's head off through the window..or blew the window out with the shotgun, missing the snake and shooting the dog...lol lol.

Jill said...

Ugh snakes! I'm glad your pup is okay. We have lots of snakes here--moccassins, rattlensakes, chicken snakes, rat snakes...it's like snake haven cuz we back up to lowlands which is a nice real estate friend way of saying swamp and what's better than a swamp in the middle of hot, humid swampy NC in July?? :) My neighbor went out to get eggs the other night from her chicken coop and she was feeling around for the eggs and touched....a great big black snake that was curled up in there. She didn't get bit but I think she took a couple years off her heart.

Jean said...

eeegads...how frightening! good thing your dog is okay...we don't have many scary snakes here in minnesota but they have prairie rattlers in western north dakota where some of my family is from...

~*~Patty said...

Ackkkk!!! We get black snakes now and again in the garden... a rattler really would make me faint I think! Glad it had a happy ending...thinking of you in your hermitically sealed salon...you're funny Gaye!