Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Collage Play


The uber talented Nancy B, of Something Two Crow About, has started a collage group on Flickr. I'm fortunate to be part of the group and in great company there, seeing some friends I know all ready and making lots of new ones - love that!


My intent with this group is to do art journalling/visual journalling/whatever this is called! So I plan to try new things, grow artistically, and further develop my style and artistic voice. Here's my firs one, 'La Vida Loca'. It measures 8 1/2" x 10" and is done on watercolor paper - which worked really well for this! I used oil pastels for the background color, with water added for a 'wash' effect. There are bits of paper here from my 'bits of paper' stash, along with some of my papers I made, and images from Nancy as well as from my collection. The lettering is done by hand, in oil pastels again, and outlined with red Sharpie. I'm working on the lettering, very challenging for me!


I thought of the Latin sense when I saw the image of the Chevy's parked on the street (thinking of Havana in the 50's) and the woman's face (she just seemed LATINA to me). Ultimately these pages will be bound into a book with my Bind It All, so I have created a left margin to accommodate that process.


Libertad = Liberty or Freedom!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Gaye! I love how your collage_play piece came out! Congrats on getting yours done first too. :)

Suzan Buckner said...

Great page Gaye!!

I am so sorry, but I didn't email you and say THANK YOU for my presents!! I was so surprised. I told about it on my blog, but then didn't email a thank you.So..THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it, and it was very sweet of you to think of me!!!!