Friday, September 19, 2008

Skylines and Skyscrapers - Part I






Angela Cartwright and Sarah Fishburn have a group on Yahoo, 'In This House'. I have been a member for awhile and have participated in a swap or two. When this swap was announced in July I signed up immediately. An earlier swap in the group had the same theme, which is to use business cards to create small structures. An article in the March/April issue of Somerset Studio presents some of the entries. This time around we could create skyscrapers with a height limitation of 7".





I have my first 'neighborhood' ready for reveal. This swap (now a project) has taken on a life of its own here!!! I decided early on that I would like to create a neighborhood of some sort, I just had no clue about what, where, or how. THEN I got into several poems by Walt Whitman, specifically about New York, and more specifically about Manhattan. I became quite inspired by this one. I decided to make 2 quite divergent neighborhoods in Manhattan, and was able to get some great help and information, as well as insight, from my oldest daughter Christine. She has been living there for the past couple of years.






My neighborhood block is on the upper West Side, W 76th between Broadway and Amsterdam. All the buildings are made on a base of bristol board which I covered with paper cut from copies of background paper I made, or previous larger pieces I've made that I had copied. The collage images I have used are from a number of sources, including Lisa's Altered Art, The Graphics Fairy, and Vintage Photos shared by Chrysti. There are stamped images, embossing, glitter, microbeads, Prima flowers, beads and buttons, Stickles, and vintage ephemera. Hope you enjoy the cafe, flower stand, residences, and corner market :)





The other neighborhood is in process and will be revealed next week... and is very different from the upper West Side. Any guesses as to which part of Manhattan I'm (re)creating?? Read the poem ;)

2 comments:

Jill said...

OH MY GOSH!! Where are you finding all this creative time? Your work is GORGEOUS!!!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

What an excellent and meaningful way to approach the houses! Love it! Can't wait to see what comes next on the block! Oh Oh Oh your new blog header is FAB too!!! oxo