Saturday, October 4, 2008

Simple Pleasures


Here's an 8" x 10" mixed media canvas, done for a swap with the inspiration of Misty Mawn. Look here to see some of her stunning collage/mixed media art. If you visit Misty Mawn's blog you'll be in for a big treat as well!


I actually photographed all the steps here and then promptly deleted them from my camera before saving on my hard drive........ grrrrrr..........


Serenity NOW!! Okay then, the canvas started with acrylic paints done in layers with sanding in between. I used the Stampington Flourish Ledger stamp with black paint in between some of the other paint layers, then used a damp rag to distress and revive the image. This was a great way to do this , without disturbing the rest of the paint layers. The text page came from a great vintage book I scored at a garage sale, 'You and Your Shadow' by Bill Severn (copyright 1961). I added some Twinkling H2O's :) The woman was constructed from patterned paper from the beautiful Rue de Garance line from Sanylion, as well as socks and shoes from a paper doll image and a lovely face from a photo (source unknown). I made her wings from the lace collar she was wearing in the original photo; the sleeve cuffs were also made from this. I stamped the ledger again (behind her head) using Twinkling H2O's, and also used the same color for other elements here. All black edging and circling was done with charcoal pencil/stick. The text pieces are from the same book page as the house, as well as her slanted heart.


I'm really pleased with the way she turned out and am feeling more confident about my character constructions all the time.

2 comments:

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

and well you should be Gaye, really neat hearing about all the parts that went into this lovely canvas, MMawn is such an inspiration, isn't she! Your book and the bits from that give your canvas a sense of mystery too = Love that!

Jill said...

This is SOOOO fabulous. I love the way this came out---so whimsical.