Friday, January 23, 2009

Some interesting info....


I rarely read only one book at a time. I don't know why, just the way my head works I suppose.


Today I was reading Living the Creative Life by Rice Freeman-Zachery (this book is awesome, if you don't have it you should get it). In chapter 3 she relates a story from Melissa Zink, one of the featured artists. Melissa is referencing her affection for the German artist Kurt Schwitters, who, as it turns out, is considered to be one of the first mixed media/collage/found art artists. I searched online and found a huge gallery of his work at Museum of Modern Art - NYC (scroll down until you find his name, then click on any of the titles to see the images). His work is wonderful, and I read more about him as well as the Dada art movement. All I can say is WOW!! This is completely fascinating to me.


I love the way everything is connected....in ways we don't know or understand but it is. It's good to be curious and learn new things!


In fullness,

Gaye

1 comment:

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Had to get a cup of something warm to drink as I really settled into this post Gaye :) Fascinating and big WOW = Schwitters was SO far ahead of his time! His work in the early 1900's is amazing!
By the chance that you've not heard of Joseph Cornell, I highly recommend Googling him. Thanks for sharing so many great links and food for thought!