Thursday, February 12, 2009

Altered Wood Frame







I have been yearning to make dimensional ATC's/mixed media pieces on wood blocks, but my husband has not helped me to cut the wood..... he's a busy guy! On a recent trip to (Jo Ann's or Michael's) I found these wood frames for $1, so I brought a few home. Here's the first one I played with!






I painted it with acrylics and then added the decorative tissue all around the perimeter. I used decorative paper for the front and back frames (K and Co, Autumn Leaves). The tissue 'overhang' was glued down over the edge. The inside of the frame openings was also covered in the same decorative tissue. The entire frame was sprayed with Patina Glimmermist. The picture insert is a freebie from Suzan Buckner's blog (Thrifty Collage Artist) which was resized to fit. The picture is backed with the same blue paper (from Autumn Leaves) that was used on the frame, with images stamped in Rose Chalk Ink (Hero Arts, Inkadinkadoo). The lace was a piece I had tea stained awhile ago, and I had just the right amount to go around the top. The chipboard flourish is from Maya Road, and was colored with the Rose ink, then sprayed with the Patina Glimmermist. Finally a few decorative jewels from Darice, and found text from a book I have that has the complete sonnets of Shakespeare.






This piece is on its way to a good home.........






But I have plans for the next one :)

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh Gaye...your altered frame is GORGEOUS! I haven't been doing a lot of art, but I've been working in sizes other than the regular ATC and "standard" stuff. My base is usually whatever I lay my hands on first. Have not done a lot of dimensional stuff, but am loving Suzan's art dolls--they are gorgeous! I will need to put it on my list to do. Have a great weekend---Happy Friday!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

LOVE what you've done with the wooden frame Gaye, it's brilliant!