Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Home Time




These ATC's are for my FINAL swap in the Art Techniques ATC group ~ final because the group is being dissolved as of April 1.... a little sad for me as I've enjoyed this group very much and participated in many great swaps there! I found this group thanks to Patty S. at Magpie's Nest.

The theme for this swap is "Home", a favorite word AND place for me!! All the houses on the cards are chipboard made by Maya Road, a really great set. I decorated all of them with a variety of decorative paper, stamped images, napkin tissue, stamped tissue, decorative tape, and hand colored paper. The images peering through the windows are from my collection: the photos are from a sheet from Inka Stamps, and the painted faces are both by Da Vinci. The Mona Lisa face I used is from a great set by Lisa Vollrath's Ten Two Studios, and the Lady with an Ermine in Cracow was part of an image challenge in the Flickr group http://www.flickr.com/groups/famous_works_atcs_/.
The backgrounds were laying around here. some days I just make backgrounds, do any of you do that? It's fun and low-commitment work, but still productive :) Two of the cards are painted in acrylic with interference paint; the other 2 are decorative paper stamped with flourishes, then given a gesso wash, then colored with oil pastels and inks.

All the found text is from a vintage book (a real beauty) of "Collected Works of Guy de Maupassant", I think this came from a garage or estate sale?? You should see the covers of this book ~ yummy indeed!
I love home, in all its connotations, manifestations, interpretations, and intentions. Always something new to see.

2 comments:

*jean* said...

ooo yes, i love to make backgrounds! and i could just spend hours doing that!! sometimes when i am stuck i start poking around and find the perfect background to get me going again!! your atcs are wonderful! i didn't even know that the art tech group was dissolving! wow...guess i better go visit!!

jean

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Your house cards are brilliant Gaye, wonderful details! It is sad isn't it about the ArtTechATC group, I liked it because it wasn't so big and daunting. It does take a lot, I'm sure to run a group. Onward and upward we go :)
Thanks for the sweet mention too BTW oxoo