Sunday, March 8, 2009

MM* for MW's Street Crusade

Pre - Monoprint
MM* with green

MM* with dark green using a mask


More MM* with dark green



MM* with pink and using sequin waste!!!!

This month on Michelle Ward's Street Crusade she has challenged us to show our brush strokes!! I have never joined one of these challenges before, but she has shared various paint and brushstoke techniques this month, so I had to give it a go!!


MM* (Monoprint Mania) is what I have for you here. I am currently working on a butterfly book swap in one of my groups and decided that I will use only paper scraps for the base of my backgrounds for each page. The book is pre-cut blank chipboard in the shape of a butterfly and the pages have to be completed on all sides (5 chippie butterflies = 10 sides). I knew that after I glued down the initial collage papers I'd want to add paint in some fashion, and woldn't you know that Michelle's instructions for making monoprints with paint seemed like just what I was looking for!!

So here are some shots I took this afternoon of my MM*, hehehehe. I was painting and monoprinting all sorts of scrap paper, tags, sequin waste, and using a recently die cut paper as a mask to monoprint!! So easy and a great effect! Thanks so much Michelle!

By the way, if you have a chance pick up the new mag from Somerset, Apprentice, and try Michelle's process for gesso resist. You'll probably like that too, I sure do ;)

14 comments:

michelle ward said...

Gabrielle - welcome to the team! Looks like you had some fun trying out monoprinting! Thanks for sharing your work and your enthusiasm. The article you mention was actually Crusade No. 25 - I shared it with the magazine as they needed something QUICK!

Stephanie said...

wow! you are going to town with the mono printing...nice!

Commuter's Journal said...

Great to have you on the team! Looks like you're getting terrific results with your mono-printing. I agree, it does become addictive, as do so many of Michelle's wonderful ideas.

And before I forget, thanks for your kind comments on my blog. -- JeriAnn

Christy said...

i love your incorporation of Michelle's MM fun on your butterflies. The have such a fun and graphic effect applied over the text and papers you have used.

Judy said...

I love this monoprint thing too. You've done a great job with it.

The Junkin' Yaya said...

Hi sweetie!

Beautiful...don't ya just love "monoprinting"! I use it sometimes when I get "blocked" and know that just a little something is missing---and presto---a monoprint! Thanks for sharing...xo..deb

Chris said...

This is very interesting! I love the butterfly shape, and just worked with it a bit. It's fun, and you've dressed it up nicely with the monoprinting. Congrats on joining the team. It's fun. I always learn something.

Thanks for sharing!

jgr said...

These are wonderful! I especially like the 'sequin waste'. Very creative.

Regina Dwarkasing said...

MM* is something I really want to practise too, after seeing all this fun stuff in your post!
Thanks for sharing,

Regina, St. Maarten DWI

Kim Mailhot said...

Wonderful MM ! It does get addictive, all this paint play, doesn't it ? Your book will be beautiful with all these luscious butterfly pages !
Cheers and welcome to the Crusades !

M said...

Love your butterfly book. You will enjoy these crusades! Your monoprints are great! Marlynn

iHanna said...

Hey, welcome to the streat team! glad to have you cruising along with us - you're butterflies make me happy!

LostLuggage said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE these! Really...I love your color combinations..and the butterfly shape?! Perfect!

Regina said...

Loving your butterflies, esp. the last one with pink & green.