Sunday, May 17, 2009

'In this Garden' Banner Swap






Angela Cartwright's Yahoo group has a banner swap with a theme of 'In this Garden', celebrating the publication of her most recent book collaboration with Sarah Fishburn. If you have not seen this book yet you must take a look. I had the opportunity to attend a book signing for In This Garden at a local shop last weekend and Angela signed my copy for me!! It was thrilling to meet her and see the original pieces featured in the book as well as lots of other cool art and mixed media supplies at Zinnia. Angela was so sweet and we took a picture together ~ a great Saturday evening for me!!







The banner swap is a 6/5 swap. I love the fact that I had to make 6, there are 6 letters in 'GARDEN', and the set would be dispersed among 6 individuals. I knew I would be making letter charms to add to each banner, but I wanted each banner to contain a word which reflected feelings and thoughts which the garden evokes for me. I constructed the flower characters from a wide array of my stamps, using beautiful Lagoon Blue pigment ink and Kaleidoscope ep. The paper for the words across the top of each banner was painted using watercolor pencils and then going over with clear glitter glue. I used a different set of alpha stamps for each banner (I had forgotten about some of these sets, hehehehehe). The text is original vintage from a book purchased at an estate sale, 'The Riverside Magazine for Young People'; this was published and bound in 1868. The story on the pages used is called "My Three Gardens"....perfect. I stamped some dots on there and crimped the paper too!! The flower petals around the faces were stamped and embossed in black, then cut and assembled along with text flowers. I really poured myself onto these banners as I LOVE the garden and find it always to be such a place of sanctuary and peace. The charms at the bottom of each piece were stamped and inked on shrink plastic, then wired with beads and twists and attached to the banner.


I love the flower characters here and will have them around in future pieces too ;), like a whole new set of friends. I know they are all going to fine homes and, although I will miss these pieces, the sharing is good.

Happy Sunday to all of you, you are all so dear to me!! (My hormones are kicking up BIGTIME I think!!!)

3 comments:

connie said...

gaye, your banners are great! love the flower people and the shrink art!! it was wonderful meeting and talking with you at zinnia!
connie

Mary Emma Allen said...

Lovely banners. And thanks for stopping by my post about using florals in your art work over at Blisstre. I followed your link and saw your lovely banners here. I'll call these to my daughter's attention. She does a lot of mixed media work.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Fun post Gaye and how nice to 'see' ya!!! Great picture with ACartwright and your banner looks wonderful too!