Monday, May 18, 2009

Make It Your Own....


That's the big idea from Michelle Ward for this month's Street Team Crusade. As soon as I read the post I knew I was in. I missed playing in this challenge last month. If you haven't tried one of these yet and you want to have fun, try something new, and meet some fantastic people, then you need to jump in :)

So this process began yesterday when I saw the puzzle page in the Sunday Magazine that arrives with the newspaper....

I need to let all of you know that, regarding my art, I LOVE circles, dots, etc; and I am obsessed with the number '3'. So when I saw this page, with its grids and STRAIGHT lines, it caught my attention ~ very unusual for me. I thought I better go with it and MAKE IT MY OWN.

I took out a few blank 4" x 4" canvas boards and began cutting, gluing, and combining other papers onto the boards. Here's what I ended up with ~ 3 boards, of course!!

I began working further on the crossword grid because it was the first to DRY :0) How many of you relate to this??!! Cut and glued down some additional paper doodads I liked. Mixed up some paint, nearly dry-brushed it on, then wiped with a baby wipe.... and did it again, with a different color I mixed.




By this time I had all ready decided I would do a gel transfer, and I had my image printed and ready on the transparency. Before I made the transfer I wanted to add some nice asters to the board, above the paint but below the transfer image (it's all about the layers). I found this great photo in a flower book I have, and wouldn't you know there was a MARIPOSA butterfly hiding amongst the blooms - the same image I had all ready planned for the transfer. I LOVE when things like this happen :)!!!!!

The transfer worked well. Now just a few more details to finish up... Earlier when I was painting I had some of each color leftover, which I try not to waste. I had some paper handy that I had punched some flowers from previously... the colors were good and the flower shape is a Cosmos, similar to my Aster flowers in shape = great stencil perhaps??




So to finish up a long post - the details were added with a crayon, glaze pens (black and silver), gold Signo pen, silver and sepia black pigment ink pads. I MADE IT MY OWN!! Thanks for a great challenge Michelle. Check it out at Michelle Ward's Crusade #31.


5 comments:

michelle ward said...

gabrielle - you certainly made it your own. fun to watch you transform a humble crossword puzzle into a background, and all the layers. thanks for sharing your process with the team!

Kim Mailhot said...

Very cool, Gabrielle ! It was fun to see how you went with the flow, adding bits of whatever inspired you in that moment.
Nice job Crusader !

cathsheard said...

That's brilliant - I don't think I would ever have grabbed the newspaper and gone with it. And the result really is your own.
But as for working one area just cos it dried first. Heck yes LOL

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

WOW Gaye, wonderful. I too enjoyed seeing just how this great piece happened....very cool!

Chris said...

I love seeing this transformation! Love crossword puzzles and the geometry of them. This rocks!