Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Wisdom of Heart and Mind

I read about this in a book I recently added to my library,
Image Transfer Workshop, and played with it when making this mixed media collage. The collage is a 4" x 4" stretched canvas and is for a swap in Trish Bee's Creating Chaos group. The quote must be incorporated into the piece and as I thought about it more and more and then saw this stamp, it hit me that men and women work together and complement one another in this way. There are many layers here, beginning with collaged text bits (mostly scraps and leftovers actually) wrapped around the canvas. The entire canvas was painted with 2 colors using the peeling paint technique. The man and woman are a stamp from Paper Bag Studios (I think!!), and the gold embossed half circle stamp (part of an old barometer I think) is from an unknown source. Both images are stamped on handmade paper. All the words for the quote are cut from various books around here, ranging in publication dates from 1868 to 1980.

The crackle medium was tinted a mossy green color and applied with a palette knife around the edges and onto the top a bit. I wanted the piece to have a sense of the images being 'buried' in those cracks.... I really like this medium it was very easy to work with and apply. It had to dry for 24 hours for all the cracking to develop. Then I painted over all 4 sides with a mix of gold and copper acrylics and dabbed off the paint with a paper towel as I went along. The resulting patina look is really nice, I like it a lot and will definitely be doing more of this. I hope my swap partner Maggi like this!!
This is also a good fit for
Mixed Media Monday this week as the theme there is 'Together' and these complementary wisdom's in the Dickens quote work together, as do men and women. I believe we are meant to be together, I sure love being married to my best friend. *(sigh)*

7 comments:

Willy said...

Fabulous piece!

Diane said...

What a wonderful canvas, Gabrielle! I think I need some of the crackle paste! Diane

LiveArt said...

Wow, love your canvas!! Gorgeous colours and structure!!

Linda

vintage wil said...

Beautiful canvas!!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

that is some wonderful crackling you have going on there Gaye, it has such a great old look to it! I've played with other crackle pastes, but never the Golden....may have to give it a whirl :)

Sharon said...

I really like the look of the crackle. I didn't know Golden made this. Must try. Thanks.

Gaby Bee said...

This piece is absolutely stunning. Love such crackle paste also.