Thursday, January 7, 2010

Using some leftovers!

This week at the Mixed Media Monday challenge we've been asked to use our leftovers ~ got plenty of 'em, as I'm sure we all do!  OK, maybe I'm really obsessive about these; I recently showed my husband my envie with the label of 'Tiny Paper'.  It's moments like these that you KNOW you are truly loved *sigh*. 

My 6" x 12" canvas board began with paint... several coats of it!  The skyline piece is built from cutting strips of paper scraps and gluing them down on cardstock.  I traced the skyline outline (modified from some of my clip art) on the back of the cardstock and cut it out.  Some Titan Buff paint was smeared around on the skyline to unify the scraps a bit.  I stamped and embossed various star and swirl stamps directly on the canvas ~ I've never done this before but it was easy and the effect is great!  I also used a Tim Holtz mask in the upper right corner and applied embossing around it as well.

The angel image is courtesy of the lovely Karen, The Graphics Fairy ~ this is the only NON-leftover on this canvas.  The phrase ~ and inspiration ~ are courtesy of Sir Paul and a tune by this name on his new CD, 'Good Evening NYC' (a wonderful gift from said wonderful husband above ;).  The song and the words are so uplifting and positive.  Oh yes, the gorgeous tinsel style glitter is by Martha Stewart and available at Michael's in many splendid colors.


8 comments:

*jean* said...

hey you, happy new year!! love this work!

Sandy said...

Oh wow this is gorgeous.
Fantastic work.

johanna said...

beautiful - the embossing comes out great!!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

So uplifting and gorgeous Gaye!
oxon

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

it makes a beautiful blog header too :)

herminesplace said...

This looks absolutely great

Diane said...

Wow, Gaye, you have built an amazing canvas from your left overs! Diane

Trudi Sissons said...

Heh Gaye - Well, did I ever have a chuckle and snort about showing your husband the envelope of little pieces...can I relate....That's so cute. I held on to a red and gold chocolate candy wrapper last week and it felt cleansing to let go of it!!!! We are a very rare breed huh?
This is very cool and I see a Starry Starry Night interpretation within it! Love the words you chose - I think I must get this CD.