Tuesday, August 31, 2010

2-fer Tuesday!!

I hope any of you that are reading this semi-regularly, or at all for that matter (!!) realize that I HAVE ISSUES....  A major issue is my obsession with the number 3... give me things in threes, the number itself looks so darn cute, three in a row, you see where I'm going right??  So in order to improve my relationship with the number 2, I hereby declare 2-fer Tuesdays .  You'll have to come along with me each Tuesday to see what the 2-fer is.  I can assure you it won't be the same from week to week!

Today I have, for you,

Product Review and Tutorial (all photos can be enlarged with a *click*)


Have you seen Claudine Hellmuth's Sticky Canvas?  I have been wanting to try this out as I love the look and feel of paint and collage on canvas but would like to incorporate elements using canvas into some of my other mixed media pieces.

Recently I gathered up these supplies...



and began mixing and applying paint, mostly in linear or rectangular forms.  When my intent is to paint and layer for use as elements or backgrounds, I often begin the paint layers this way.
The canvas is unprimed and I used it this way.  Next time I play with this I'll definitely apply some gesso to see the difference.

So I began painting and mixing, painting and mixing....





and here is where my first layer ended up.  The canvas took the paint beautifully.  I didn't have it taped down while I was painting so it curled A LOT.  When you painy on this with acrylic TAPE IT DOWN.  The curling didn't stop me but it does become bothersome.  I taped it down here after the paint was on and it flattened out beautifully.

Next layer now:  I {rarely} work in single layer of anything.  I don't really know how to do that but I'm learning with my doodles, sketches, and zentangles.  But one layer of paint only??  Fuhgeddaboutit.

The next layer involves stencils and pigment ink pads:

Here are my initial stencil selections.  Maybe I'll use all of them, maybe I won't.  I have to see waht develops during the process.  I like to use pigment inkpads for stencilling as I can control the color application very well with these.  I used stencil brushes to apply the colors and designs here:




So here's the {finished for now} canvas.  It is easy to work with and lays flat (!!). 



I can see these colors and designs becoming parts of art journal pages, flowers, or possibly ATC backgrounds.  Haven't decided yet so have just cut them into 3 pieces for now.  This canvas cuts well and the paper backing is not wanting to peel away. 



I recomment this product very highly, the quality and performance are superb.

Hope this 2-fer was good for you, I enjoyed it.  Hope to see you again next Tuesday for another 2-fer :)

3 comments:

Michele Fauss said...

Loved your tutorial! And your background, they would make cool ATC's. I've never even heard of that canvas product, but what a cool idea. I'll have to try it sometime.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Such fun x TWO Gaye!
It really IS fun seeing people's art supplies ... thanks so much for the how to!

I got to use some of Claudine's canvas with some art friends a week or so ago. We did a resist stamp using another of her products (like a gel medium???) dried that and put on color washes ... Love those results too ... I think I NEED some of that canvas ... thanks for sealing the deal for me heehee
oxo

Elizabeth Golden said...

What a great tutorial. I love the way you stenciled on the plaid, the canvas looks very interesting. I am going to have to try this. I can not wait to see what you do next week.